Free Home Security Survey
Ensuring you have the best protection against burglars gives your family peace of mind.
One of the services we offer is our home security check and inspection of all security aspects including the suitability and compliance of the window and door locks.
We will advise you as to any security upgrades we think appropriate whilst we are carrying out the inspection and this advice is optional for you to take up or otherwise.
Home protection advice looks at the direct access points of your home taking into account the latest techniques used by burglars and advising on appropriate methods to counteract them. Much of the advice is zero cost and takes the form of best practise, much of which is common sense.
According to the Police Websites homes with no security measures in place are five times more likely to be burgled than those with simple security measures that have put in place. Good window locks and strong deadlocks can make a big difference to home security.
Taking a few security measures can make a big difference in keeping your home safe from burglary. The following recommendations are non cost options and will dramatically reduce the chances of a break in:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you're just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn the key).
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox.
- Install a visual burglar alarm.
- Install good outside lighting.
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied.
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition.
- Secure bikes at home by locking them to an immovable object inside a locked shed or garage.
- Keep ladders and tools stored away. Leaving them outside where they could be used to break into your home is giving an open invitation.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property and ensure rear fencing is in good repair.
- Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges.
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with Immobilise.
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
- Store any high value items (cash, jewellery, passports etc) in a properly secured safe.